Premium support for our pure JavaScript UI components

Post by Animal »

I have raised a linked ticket so we can consider our steps concerning accessibility in a Gantt: https://github.com/bryntum/support/issues/6423

Post by mhbuur »

Animal wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:12 pm

I have raised a linked ticket so we can consider our steps concerning accessibility in a Gantt: https://github.com/bryntum/support/issues/6423

Thanks, I was thinking about your comment here:

Animal wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:54 pm

Seems like LEFT arrow from an event bar thinks it's jumping back into the grid from external, which means jump to the last focused cell there.

It should of course go back to the last cell in the locked side that is on the same row. We can fix that.

I think this happens because of the lack of tab zones between grid and graph area (these should be considered separate datagrids navigation wise due to the separator).

Animal wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:10 pm

In the second example, all headers are navigable cells:

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 14.09.57.png

Yes, that makes sense. It also makes sense in Gantt. I actually got "fooled" by that example 2 - it does actually focus the first header cell first, but later on, if you re-enter the grid, it will focus the last used cell.

I don't think it would hurt to add a tabstop in the actual grid though or perhaps even better:
just focus the first main cell instead of the header. The ARIA examples without functional headers apply that principle - it brings the user to the main "content", the grid cells.

Best Regards,

Michael

Post by Animal »

All header cells are activatable in Bryntum Grids:

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 15.12.13.png
Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 15.12.13.png (92.4 KiB) Viewed 59 times

They must be part of the cell navigation. The header row is just grid row 1 (See it's aria attributes), and its headers are just grid cells:

<header data-owner-cmp="b-grid-1" class="b-grid-header-container b-show-yscroll-padding" role="row" aria-rowindex="1" data-max-depth="0">

Post by mhbuur »

Yes, and they should be a part of the cell navigation - I am not disputing that at all. It is correct, dare I say perfect ;-)

I am talking about initial focus when tabbing into the datagrid area. It would be much more userfriendly to focus the first datarow instead of the headers first cell. There are several reasons to do so:

1. The row is highlighted - the user knows where she is
  2. The user is placed at content more likely to be interacted with
  3. The grid navigation mode (arrow keys) is more obvious

When tabbing away and back into the grid area, last focused row and cell should be focused (like the ARIA datagrid Example 2)

Best Regards,

Michael

Post by Animal »

I will add that to the ticket as a Feature Request.