Our state of the art Gantt chart

Post by daniel.piret »

Hello,

I've another weird behavior that can be reproduced in the gantt version 4.0.2, the attached file can be used in the advance example, and the steps are like this:

Open the screen and you will see 4 tasks:

Summary:
   Setup Web Server:
       Install Apache
       Configure firewall

At the beginning it shows Summary 6 days, Setup web server 6 days, Install Apache 4 and Configure Firewall 2, now if you press right click in the setup web server and go to edit task, and without any change press cancel you will see that the values changes to:
Summary 8 days and Setup web server 8 days

As I was trying to figure out if this was caused by custom code in our project I debugged the core for some time and I saw a weird behavior in the method HasSchedulingModeMixin.calculateEndDate

When the method is executed the first time for "Setup web server" the dispatch resolution has the following values:

StartDate 0
EndDate 0
Duration 3
Effort 4
Units 0

And this causes the code in the superProto.calculateEndDate.call(this); to be executed, but when you open and close the task editor the new dispatcher has the values:

StartDate 0
EndDate 6
Duration 3
Effort 4
Units 0

Which now causes the code to execute the "calculateProjectedXDateByEffort", which is wrong as summaries should not consider the effort but the subtasks max end date, so not sure what should be the right behavior but certainly the first time (when the dispatcher has the enddate as 0) it works find and the calculation is right.

Any suggestions?

Attachments
launch-saas.json
(8.32 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

Post by arcady »

I've made a ticket to check why clicking "Cancel" in task editor leads to rescheduling: https://github.com/bryntum/support/issues/1839

Yet I've noticed that you use "FixedEffort" scheduling mode for summary tasks. How do you expect it to work (plus given you don't provide effort values for the tasks)?
I think that mode should not be supported for summary tasks.
IIRC in Ext Gantt summary tasks can use only "Normal" mode.
And in MS Project they can have only "Fixed Duration" type.

Bryntum Gantt has not implemented that limitation yet, but considering above I wouldn't expect a summary task to work with any mode except "Normal" or "FixedDuration".

Anyway we'll check the task editor behaviour and see if there is anything that should be cleaned up. Thank you for the report! :)

Post by daniel.piret »

Thanks for the reply, I think scheduling mode does not make sense when refering to summaries as they will always depend on the subtasks,

Reading the description of the issues in github seems to be misunderstanding the problem, I will update it there as well.

Post by arcady »

I think the route the calculation goes is chosen due to FixedEffort mode. So if we prevent summaries to use the mode the issue won't happen ..but we'll check that.

Post by daniel.piret »

Just keep in eye to the fact that the method I've mentioned does not have a consistent behavior, when loading it takes one route and when pressing cancel it does something different which does not make sense as with no changes in data the code should use the same execution path, which is not happening at this moment.

Thanks