Our state of the art Gantt chart

Post by S.R. »

Hi,

I observed the following unexpected behaviour while moving a task vertically in the Gantt table:
Though I moved the task directly under the project task, this moved task is finally moved to the end of the project.
It does not always behave like this, but often.
If the task is moved to the end instead as child directly under the project, I observed in event "gridRowBeforeDropFinalize" that "context.insertBefore" is null.

This is also reproducible in "Bryntum Gantt - Advanced Demo".

Any ideas what's going wrong and how I can solve it?

Thanks in advance for any hint!

Post by S.R. »

Remark: I observed the same behaviour also, if the task is moved directly under a parent task.

Post by S.R. »

One more remark: If the task is not droped at the expected position, parameter "parent" is the Window ...

Post by ghulam.ghous »

Hi S.R.,

This is expected behaviour because when you move the task below parent, dropped position (cursor) needs to be below the parent task and just above the first child halfway mark. This will insert it as first child. If you drop it after the halfway mark, it will insert it as next sibling. We have a ticket here https://github.com/bryntum/support/issues/3252 that is now marked as high prio in order to improve the visual UI to understand this better.

Regards,
Ghous

Post by S.R. »

Hi Ghous,

thanks for your fast reply.
Maybe I did not cleary described my problem ... Please see the attached images (unfortunately I was not able to attach a video of 22,6 MB) to better understand what is for me unexpected.

In the advanced example I want to move task "Setup load balancer" from row 5 to row 2, so that the task is finally between "Launch SaaS Product" and "Setup web server".
Sometimes it works like that.
But sometimes the task "Setup load balancer" is added at the end of the project, i.e. in row 41 (as in the 3rd image).
And from my point of view this is an unexpected behaviour. :-)

Thanks and regards
Silke

Attachments
VerticalDragDrop-3.PNG
VerticalDragDrop-3.PNG (341.12 KiB) Viewed 104 times
VerticalDragDrop-2.PNG
VerticalDragDrop-2.PNG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 104 times
VerticalDragDrop-1.PNG
VerticalDragDrop-1.PNG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 104 times

Post by ghulam.ghous »

Hi S.R.

I have understood the problem, thanks for sharing the screenshots here. As I described earlier, the drop point where you need to drop the task in order to place it between "Launch SaaS Product" and "Setup web server" is ambiguous. If you drop it just below the "Launch SaaS Product" and just above the halfway mark of "Setup web server" task, it will be placed between them. Here it treats "Setup web server" as a sibling and places the dragged task between them. But if you place exactly on the parent "Launch SaaS Product", here it treats "Launch SaaS Product" as a sibling and places the task after it, and it is showing at the end of the page because "Launch SaaS Product" has plenty of child's and the next sibling is placed below the child's. You can check this behaviour by collapsing the parent. The dropped task is the next sibling there. For clarification please also see the clip here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PYQkujJ-mJvCqFnJVq535fKWGoJbCP37?usp=sharing

The ticket above I shared is to make sure to remove the ambiguity about the drop position.

Hope it clears the air :)

Regards,
Ghous

Post by S.R. »

I got it. Thanks!